Wednesday 22 June 2011

Day 29 - Back to Miami:-)

Naughty Oli let me sleep in this morning - we originally said we'd get up at 8 to make tracks to Miami but I woke up at 9.10. I bolted upright in our king-size bed to find Oli already awake and sipping a coffee!  Oli said he thought I looked too peaceful and didn't want to wake me up!

A little later than scheduled at 10 o'clock we had checked out of our hotel in Key Largo and were starting the hour and a half drive to Miami beach.

As we drove into Miami seeing the same sights we saw only 6 days ago (yet it seems like weeks since we were last here!)

Just like usual we hadn't booked a hotel in advance so we stopped off at a couple and had a look around.  Nothing was really hitting the spot so we decided to go for a spot of lunch instead!  Now my tummy had stopped grumbling I could think a lot more clearly, and the sign of a "Palmer" hotel (my maiden name - that reminds me, I must change it officially to Mitchell...) led us in the right direction to a lovely little place called the "Kent" hotel.  The Art Deco interior had a flat screen TV, a king size bed and came at a bargain price of $89 per night, so we snapped up two nights here.

For the rest of the afternoon we made our way down to Miami Beach.  

As lovely as it was with its white sand, inviting blue water and brightly coloured lifeguard stations, it doesn't make up for the fact that IT'S COVERED WITH SAND (seriously, it gets in every nook and cranny - I'm sure for the next week I'll still be finding sand everywhere!)!!!   

Thank God Oli feels the same way - we're swimming pool people at heart, so although it's nice to spend a couple of hours at the beach, I think tomorrow we'll either have a swim in a pool or do some more sightseeing.
































After a little nap at the hotel we showered and changed and made our way to dinner around 8 o'clock.  To enhance my new golden tan that I'd created over the last few days, i decide to wear something subtle - a bright neon pink vest!!!  You know me, I like to blend in!!!

The roadside of Miami Beach is bustling with restaurants, bars and clubs.  As you walk down you are inundated with fliers and discounts to each and every venue.  We took our time on deciding where to eat tonight, and in the end decided on "Kitchen", seated nicely outside on the pavement where we could watch the world go by.   We ordered two margaritas, a strawberry and a pineapple.  The waitress suggested that we upgrade to the larger versions with two bottles of beer in them.  Why not, we're on holiday!

As soon as they came I was sightly regretting my decisions.  The glass was as big as my head, full to the brim with luscious strawberry margarita, but poking out the top were two upside down bottles of Corona!  How on earth was I gonna drink all that?

Two hours later when my glass was drained (that's how long it took to drink) my head was spinning (and still is as I'm typing this) - me, drunk, on a Wednesday?  Never!  I can barely remember what we had for dinner - I'm going out on a limb and saying I had mussels for starters and chicken salad for main... I think I just fell asleep while typing this for a second...  I think the drinks were $35 each, but well worth it, as really they were about 5 drinks in one! 


This is the point where I usually talk about what we're up to tomorrow, but until the room stops spinning, I'm unable to think straight... if you're reading my blog for the first time, my sentences are usually much more intelligible and coherent, and over these last four weeks we've done some really interesting stuff that didn't include alcohol.....but at this precise moment in time I can't think of anything intelligent or witty to say!!!  Think I should leave it there for tonight...my eyes are closing and the white linen of my bed is calling.  Night, night!

J&O

1 comment:

  1. Hope you don't have a hangover when you wake up!
    Beer makes me very poorly.... Loved the little coloured booths on the beach. S xx

    ReplyDelete